Programmed Electrical Technologies (Programmed) were engaged to reduce Melbourne Airport Car Parks energy consumption by decreasing the energy output of the existing lighting design while maintaining compliant LUX levels across the Car Park.
The Car Park was to be kept operational at all times to keep a continued revenue stream. Programmed were also engaged to streamline and update the CBUS control system and implement a list of recommendations to help with energy savings.
Programmed was required to complete the end to end solution from Ground floor to level 5 Car Park space, as well as access ramps and stairs. This included the following:
• Supply and installation of 2010 new 1 x 58W weather proof battens. This would essentially reduce the Melbourne Airport Car Parks lighting energy consumption by half.
• Supply and installation of 750 new 1 x 58W maintained emergency weather proof battens while migrating these into the existing monitored backbone system.
• Supply and installation of 37 x New Voltage Reduction Units on the lighting circuits above the ground floor rental area.
Programmed engaged with all relevant stakeholders on site to conduct switchboard shutdowns. This allowed for works to take place in a safe work environment with no effect to Car Park operations.
Melbourne Airport Car Park was originally designed with a CBUS lighting control system. This system was installed in two parts, therefore having two separate networks on site operating independently from each other. Programmed were engaged to complete a systems check and offer up recommendations that would improve overall useability as well as project energy savings within a specific budget. The recommendations that were submitted and subsequently delivered were as follows:
• Connect two systems together - Combining the two together so that either system can be operated from any of the touch panels existing on site.
• Re-Instate System Functions - Over the years the system had been overridden therefore leaving the lights in a constant state of “ON”. - Programmed implemented schedules so that automatic switching occurs over the parking bays while maintaining compliance to LUX level.
• Installation of light sensors - Installation of light sensors to each side of the car park was completed to gain true LUX level readings no matter what time of the day.
• Reduction of lighting levels during the day - Using the LUX levels from the sensors, the light fittings located closest to the side of the Car Park will now be switched “OFF” during the day.
Melbourne Airport were genuinely appreciative of all the hard work completed by Programmed, keeping airport operations and public safety at the forefront of their mind while completing a tight and complex schedule on track. The job was completed ahead of time and the client was delighted with the look and feel of their new look Car Park.